To contact The Old Athlone Society, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will respond as soon as possible.
A typical early twentieth century market scene in Athlone. St. Mary’s Square was one of several market places in Athlone best known for its Sheep Markets or Hay Markets. The cut-stone building in the centre of the picture was ‘Athlone Charitable Dispensary’ which was built in 1816 and survived until 1973. The two churches in the image are St. Mary’s Roman Catholic Church with its spire and the plain Baptist chapel with its Lancet windows. The striking brick building on the right of the image was Larry Maguire’s Bar and Grocery. It was burned down by British forces in 1920 and subsequently rebuilt. Thanks to Gearoid O’Brien for the information and the photo, which is stored in Aidan Heavey Public Library, Athlone.
Annual subscriptions run from 1 January to 31 December.
Individual Membership: €20
Family Membership: €30
Subscriptions can be paid at any of our events. Also, feel free to email us to arrange payment.
The society also produces a journal, many of whose editions are still available for purchase. Please check the publications page for more information and contact the society for further details on any of our books and journals.